Warning: ini_set(): Session ini settings cannot be changed when a session is active in /var/www/html/siteConfig.php on line 5


Majority of the senior citizens traveling abroad have some form of pre-existing conditions (Blood pressure, Diabetes, Arthritis, Heart problems, dialysis, tumor, etc). Some insurers namely Care and Tata AIG cover preexisting conditions in life threatening emergency situations till the patient is stable, or to relieve acute pain. Tata AIG restricts the cover for pre existing conditions to US$1500 and Care to 10% of the Sum Insured up to a maximum of US$10000. Unfortunately, there is no travel medical insurance plan which fully covers pre-existing conditions.

A question one might ask is whether it is feasible to buy a travel health insurance, when pre-existing conditions are not covered. The answer lies in practicality. It must be noted that not all health issues are due to pre-existing conditions. The probability of any health hazard due to pre-existing condition in most cases is 5 to 10%. It is the other 90%, you should think about. You surely need a health insurance to protect yourself from escalating health expenses.

Two common health concerns are general sickness/illness due to change of weather, food habits etc. and road accidents, as one road trips most of the time while travelling abroad.

Having a travel health insurance will give you the peace of mind and you can enjoy your vacation or business trip.

Is There Any Solution for Visitors with Pre-Existing Conditions? The most common pre-existing conditions we hear about are blood pressure and diabetes. Even though, people with these conditions can be in good and stable condition, they may be dependent on medicines, insulin or regular checkup. While it is true that, pre-existing conditions might not be covered , there are certain ways you can take precautions to prepare yourself for such a situation and avoid it from taking a toll on you.

Here are a few common and proven tips:

  • Buy a good Overseas Medical Insurance Plan.
  • Get a thorough and complete medical checkup done before you travel abroad. This will be useful for your trip and also help diagnose any hidden medical issue/s. It helps you stay assured and feel secure.
  • Carry sufficient amounts of medicines from your home country.
  • People with High-blood pressure and/or Diabetes should consider buying self measuring equipments .These are inexpensive and very useful. The prices of these vary from $15 to $100.
  • Pay attention to your eating habits, walk/exercise regularly, make friends, measure your blood pressure and sugar on a regular basis.
  • Host children should not make hectic plans for their parents. They must ask them from time to time whether they have any problems. Parents should not feel offended to receive instructions from their children as it is for their well-being and safety.