Loss or Delay of Baggage or Personal Documents
Some of the most common and annoying holiday disasters involve personal possessions, such as delayed /lost baggage, lost passports and damaged gadgets. Loss of baggage or documents can seriously upset your travel plans but with an appropriate travel insurance plan, you can have some peace of mind. Travel insurance provides you coverage for loss of baggage, delay of baggage, loss of passport etc up to a specified limit mentioned in the policy document.
Loss of Checked in Baggage Coverage can reimburse you for your personal belongings if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged.
Coverage for loss of your baggage and personal effects can be purchased as part of a comprehensive travel insurance plan. This type of travel insurance coverage provides reimbursement for luggage as well as for any items of yours that are lost or stolen while you're traveling.
Many a times, the baggage can be lost en route, or get stolen from the airport baggage carousel. It can fall off while loading and none of the airlines staff notices it. Travel insurance policies that offer coverage for loss of baggage and/or personal effects have specified limits on the amount of money to which you'll be entitled if you need to file a claim.
There are three types of limits you'll need to look for:
- The total limit, which states the total maximum amount of coverage you can receive;
- The per-baggage limit, which states the maximum amount of reimbursement you can seek per individual baggage (usually capped at 50% of the sum insured specified in the policy for loss of baggage);
- The per item limit, which states the maximum amount of reimbursement you can seek per individual item.
Baggage Delay Coverage provides money to buy essential items until your delayed bags arrive, such as a toiletry kit, medicines, or another change of clothes.
This coverage is intended to provide for the essentials in case of a delay in receipt of the checked-in baggage. This coverage starts when your bags have been delayed a certain number of hours (usually between 12 and 24).
While there is also travel insurance coverage available for loss of baggage or if you had your personal items stolen, baggage delay coverage is an additional coverage that may be there in a travel insurance Comprehensive Plan.
Some Important Points about Baggage Delay Coverage-
- It is a secondary coverage to any benefits your airline or common carrier may provide to you.
- The items you purchase must be reasonable essential items. Incurred expenses must be verifiable, so keep your receipts and take pictures of the items you buy to carry you over until your luggage arrives.
- Baggage delay coverage doesn't provide protection when you reach your final destination or place of residence.
Loss of Passport covers expenses for the issue of a new or duplicate passport. If you lose your passport or it is stolen, while you are on a trip, it can be a real hassle. You need to get a new or duplicate passport immediately.
The insurance company will provide reimbursement for actual expenses necessarily and reasonably incurred in obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport during a trip up to the limit mentioned in the policy document. Some insurers even provide assistance in obtaining a new/ duplicate passport.